The NPCMod is a community modding project. While initially started by Sphereii and Xyth back in A16, the team continues to grow in size every alpha. The goal of this project is to provide “Core” functionality and templates that can be reused by modders to add high functioning characters to their mods. There are 2 core modlets, both are required for this mod to work. The 0-SCore modlet contains C# code and the 0-XNPCCore contains the xml and templates.
By design this mod encourages expansion through expansion packs. Character packs focused on a entity type, for example, a 1-soldier pack or a 1-spider pack add new characters to the 0-XNPCCore. A 2-soldierfactions pack might add different factions to the 1-soldier pack, reusing those same soldier models. The sequence 0-, 1-, -2 etc. indicates there is a dependency on another modlet with a lower number prefix. Other character modders have committed to contributing additional characters that leverage this mod pack like they do to the POI (Buildings) collection called CompoPack. If you would like to join this community team, or have some features or characters to contribute, they would love to hear from you!
Current Stable Version: 20.6.02.0
Current Experimental Version: Not Available
- This mod includes a Unity Tutorial Project (available separately) containing the mods controller and templates and scripts so making new characters is easy.
- NPC characters support all vanilla character features. These include Humanoid rigging, root motion animation, collision with vehicles, rag-dolling, 100’s of animated reactions (including hit locations, limping, etc.), limb decapitation and gore. These can also be retextured in xml to offer even more variety. There are some exceptions, especially on animals, which typically do not have ragdolls.
- NPCs use a new Artificial Intelligence system called UAI. Unlike zombie AI (EAI), this system allows for advanced tasks and real time decision making based on considerations. Should the NPC attack, run, loot, follow, backup to optimized weapon range? All tasks and considerations.
- Work very well as sleepers in POIs, respecting all of the POI volume properties.
- Can be setup to attack on bloodmoons!
- Spawn with vanilla or custom weapons just by editing xml.
- Can be hired, becoming loyal companions, sharing your adventures and challenges.
- Hired NPCs can be ordered to follow and stay, with new features like looting and guarding coming soon.
- Animals can also be hired, though don’t accept Dukes. Try meat.
- NPCs have factions. Some like you, some don’t. Beware of bandits!
- Hostile NPCs have additional AI so they will hunt you down more than zombies can, be warned!
- No more losing your NPC. They will teleport to you if stuck, get too far away, or if configured, to your bedroll when you die.
- They will follow you on foot, keeping up with you, and if you get into a vehicle, they will hide and reappear once you exit the vehicle.
- They can heal themselves when its safe to do so, and there is a medic package for characters that can heal and mend others.
- Low maintenance, no need to feed or water these folks, but that is a feature that could be available later.
- Lifelike Idle animations while chatting and wandering were added to improve immersion. Many more will be added after initial release.
- When the player/leader crouches, so do the NPCs
- Scalable, modular architecture, so expanding character and new behaviors is much simpler.
- Customizable pathing per NPC will be available but requires implementation details not yet available. Stay tuned.
There are craftable player commands that will control your hired NPCs as a group. You can craft these commands by typing in NPC in your crafting menu.
There are currently three commands:
- Mode: This command is a toggle between various control modes:
- Hunting (default): In this mode your NPC swill automatically target anything that it sees as being hostile towards it or yourself. You have no control over their actions besides stay and follow.
- Full Control: In this mode the NPCs will not automatically target anything. It will behave as if all hostiles are threats and will only engage if you are hurt or if you start attacking one of the threats.
- Stop: This command is a toggle and when paired with Full Control will make your NPCs halt or resume attacking their targets. This becomes especially useful when you feel like you or your NPCs will not survive an encounter and you want them to simply follow you so you can avoid the encounter altogether. It is also useful when you wish to travel without engaging any targets.
- Help: This command is useful when you are in Full Control and want your NPCs to engage targets within 20 meters of you. If you are without ranged weapons, you want to be able to have your NPCs help you without having to either take damage or attack the hostile.
- What happened to the CreaturePacks and NPC mod?
- They have been merged, combined and obsoleted. Now that code can be natively loaded by the game, there was no reason to keep those two separated. This version is simpler to load, maintain, and has more features than either one did.
- Can I run this with EAC enable?
- NO, EAC must be turned off.
- Can I learn how to add my own characters?
- Sure, its never been easier to learn to make characters. lots of work went into simplifying the process, and scripts can do most of the work for you now. There are videos available to assist.
- I have great ideas for more features, where do i make suggestions?
- Forum thread works or on Guppy’s modding forum in the NPC-mod channel
- I found a bug! Where do i post that?
- Please provide the info requested in the bug form found below, and post it forum or on Guppy’s modding Discord under the npc-mod-bug reports
- Does this work on dedicated servers?
- It should, the current version tested well on dedi. All mods, cores and expansion packs MUST be loaded into BOTH the Dedi and all client Mods folders.
- Have a good question? Maybe you will see it listed here soon!
- Always use a fresh game if you update Score or NPCCore. Strange things can happen updating the cores on an existing game.
- The UI needs work, some overlapping text, Sirillion has volunteered to refresh it.
- Hired NPCs might Leroy Jenkins on aggressive animals, use the command interface to gain more control.
- Melee NPC detection of crawlers in the grass isn’t as good as ranged, but works.
- NPC ranged can sometimes not hit as well as other times. Might be debuffs accumulating.
- It’s a very new mod, expect bugs we didn’t find yet, and please report those.
- NPCMOD-SP-0034: Hired NPCs will despawn at times (ex: using vehicles)
- NPCMOD-SP-0037: Ranged Hostile NPCs stop being able to damage you when you are close and lower than them
- NPCMOD-SP-0039: Friendly NPCs spawned in “passive” sleeper volumes will not move if hired
- NPCMOD-SP-0044: Melee NPCs can properly hit crawlers when on the road but cannot always see them when in grass
- NPCMOD-SP-0048: NPCs can talk to the player while fighting, until they are hit by an enemy
- NPCMOD-SP-0049: Setting the respawn CVar to 0 still respawns NPCs next to their leader. Possibly change SCore so CVar value of 1 would respawn them. No CVar or value of 0 would not
- NPCMOD-SP-0050: NPC ranged can sometimes not hit as well as other times. Might be debuffs accumulating.
- NPCMOD-SP-0051: NPCs will use the trader voice set at times
- NPCMOD-SP-0052: NPCs in passive sleeper volumes turn to look at the player when they’re not active
- NPCMOD-DEDI-0006: NPCs can be hired by another player after you’ve hired them – fixed
- NPCMOD-DEDI-0008: A hired NPC does not know who to focus on when two players are around them. Focus should be on the leader – fixed
- NPCMOD-DEDI-0015: NPCs no longer have the walking anim, float when walking away from you and you chat with them: Only occurs when you press “E” quickly before they enter chat action.
- NPCMOD-DEDI-0016: Hired NPCs will path to another player then path back to the leader
- NPCMOD-DEDI-0021: When you hire a dynamic spawned NPC, their spawner source is supposed to be changed to static. It seems that’s failing
BUG REPORTING FORM
Summary: (a short description of the bug)
Game Version: (A20 bxxx)
Platform: (PC / Mac)
Video Settings: (Low / Medium / High / Ultra / Custom (Custom has many combinations, so just list the settings you think are relevant to the bug if any))
Game mode: (MP host / MP client / SP / Client on Dedi)
Did you start a new game? (Yes/No) Note: Do not submit a bug report until you retest your issue in a new game.
Did you validate your files? (Yes/No)
Are you using any other mods? (Yes/No) Note: Please retest without any mods loaded in a new game.
EAC off? Note: Needs to be Off.
Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:
Actual result: (description of what is occurring)
Expected result: (what you expect to occur)
Turn EAC Off!
Option 1: Download 0-XNPCCore.zip and SCore using the links below. If the download is a .zip or .7z file like the 0-XNPCCore.zip is, then unpack that compressed file and place the mod found inside into your Mods folder. SCore isnt compressed, so download that folder directly. Then load as many expansion packs as desired, unpacking the file if needed. If you are using a dedicated server, you also need to load both Core modlets into your dedi server Mods folder. So copies in both the client side Mods folder and also on the server Mods folder.
Option 2: Use the modlauncher to load the 2 cores.
Here is a helpful video to get you started:
1. You are allowed to use the NPCMod, its NPCCore, Unity Controller and expansion packs without any kind of direct modifications. All modifications and/or derivative works of NPCCore, controller and expansion packs are restricted to private use only unless those modifications are done in expansion mods that have a dependency on the unaltered Core mods being loaded. The mod and expansion packs contain purchased assets, including animations in the included character controller, so any derivative use of the models or controller is also contingent on purchasing those assets first.
2. You are encouraged to use the NPCMod as part of your own mod, public or private. However, you must provide credit to the community team by adding the “Powered by Score and NPCCore” logo to your mods opening screen and forum posts. (Resize as appropriate)
3. The team is not responsible for any damage, including damaged savegames, by using this mod.
Meet the Team
(Historic and Current, in no particular order)
- Sphereii: C# wizard and modding community teacher. Famous for his mod launcher and other code bits
- Xyth: Unity guy and modding community teacher. Not very famous.
- GuppyCur: Discord master and sometimes zombie maker. Hope to see him active in A20
- TSBX: TFP tester and previously a zombie creator
- DarkStarDragon: Active creator of NPCs, maker of great expansion packs
- Sirillion: The UI master himself, creator of screens and menus.
- FuriousRamsay: Lead tester and contributor of NPCCore xml code
- Khzmusik: C# code contributor and local math wizard
- Mumpfy: Graphics and character retexturing guru
- Khaine: Very helpful input on mod design
- Arramus: POI/sleeper tester and designer
- Mr. Devolver: Longtime tester and advocate
- Magejosh: Tester
- GanTheGrey: Zombie maker
Xyth is sure he’s missing several others who helped along the way, please let him know whos been missed!
Unity Tutorial Project
This is only needed if you want to teach yourself how to make your own characters: A20 Tutorial Project
Videos That Might Be Useful
Minor update to the NPCCore. It just edits xml so vanilla entities will fight back when hurt by EntityEnemySDX NPCs. Few if any modders will be impacted by this change, and it is save game safe. Also refreshed the SCore.zip found in Xyth’s repo.
Core Mod Downloads (also available on the ModLauncher)
Download SCore: (0-SCore)
Download NPCCore: (0-XNPCCore) (generally, the most current version listed in the experimental will work as well if not better)
Experimental Release – New features, limited testing
(Not Available) Experimental NPCCore (Use Stable)
Download Most current 0-SCore version required (and then copy ONLY the 0-SCore subfolder into your Mods folder.)
Download 1-NPCXBirdPack by Xyth (Adds birds to the sky)
Download 1-NPCXSpiderPack by Xyth (Adds giant spiders to hostile biomes)
Download 1-NPCXMechPack by Xyth (An assortment of mechanical terrors)
Download 1-RaiderGurlzPack by DarkStarDragon (Adds 50’s style Gansta gals)
Download 1-RaiderzPack by DarkStarDragon (Adds several nasty bandit type foes)
Download 1-SoldierPack by DarkStarDragon (Basic military types)
Download 1-VaultDwellerzPack by DarkStarDragon (Vault 99 is waiting…)
Download 1-RobotzPack by DarkStarDragon (Mechs and more!)
Download 1-ZombiezPack by DarkStarDragon (DarkStar’s first zombies, wasn’t gonna happen until it did.)
Download 1-PitFighterzPack by DarkStarDragon (MMA at its finest)
Download 1-SurvivorzPack by DarkStarDragon (You are not alone!)
Download 1-OrczPackAlpha by DarkStarDragon (Have no fear, they only come to liberate you!)
Download 2-OrczPackBeta by DarkStarDragon (Must load the 1-OrczPackAlpha for this to work as expected!)
Download 1-KnightsNPeasantzPackAlpha by DarkStarDragon (Ni! Ni!)
Download 2-GoblinzPack by DarkStarDragon (Must also load 1-KnightsandPeasants AND 1-OrczAlphaPack)
Download 1-FantasticBeastz by DarkStarDragon (Oh My!)
Download 1-YeOldeUndeadPack by DarkStarDragon (Dem Bones!)
Download 2-RaiderGurlzPack-Friendly by Mr.Devolver (An expansion for an expansion pack! Adds friendly, hirable versions of DarkStar’s RaiderGurlz. You need to load the cores AND the RaiderGurlz expansion when you load this mod.)
Download 2-SummonFoxFriend by Arramus (You have a friend.)
Download 2-NPCXSpiderPack-ColonyExpansion by Arramus (An expansion for an expansion pack! Adds more spider variety. You need to load the cores AND the 1-NPCXSpiderPack expansion when you load this mod.)
Download 1-GansStandardZombies by GanTheGrey (Gan is back with some of his A19 favorite normal zombies.)
Download 1-GansSpecialZombies by GanTheGrey (Like zombie oddities? Look no further…)
Download 1-khzmusik_Zombies by Khzmusik (As if you have enough zombies…)
Download 1-khzmusik_Civilians by Khzmusik (Folks just like you, trying to survive.)
The forum topic of the mod is here.
Credits: Xyth, SphereII and community
63 thoughts on “NPCMod – A Community Project”
The downgit links (SCore file and Xyth’s expansion files) won’t let me download for some reason. They either get stuck during the download or don’t start at all and stay at 0. Maybe I’m the only one?
I retract the first comment, it works now.
I cant download the SCore: (0-SCore).
Can we still get the wandering random npc? I liked finding the Cook fighting zombies and whisper that thing like hiring or controling dont really want it any way to get the wandering npc?
yes they can be made to not be hireable. Jsut dont ask me how at the moment…but they definitely can.
DarkStarDragon links NOT WORKING
I searched for the health bar I want to erase, but I can’t find it
downloaded the core files and dragged/pasted onto my mod file but i get red errors codes when running the game and my game crash….
i also get errors
Your core Config folder should be at this path:
YourDrive:\YourSteamLocation\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods\0-SCore\Config
i have tried the mods ingame it keeps on giving errors, with other 54mods include and without
tried all the maps same error
but the game does not crash only errors
system is on ultra
DOESN’T WORK AT ALL!! Am i missing something here?! Do i revert back to A18, A19?!?! When i make a new game its just a regular no modded game!!
Definitely works, I have been using it for a while now
Well its day 5 and not One of the soldiers or raiders appears but some new zombies with tutorial name appears why the all other npc does not appear? They spawn normal and have normal ai if spawned in debugmode
The authors of this mod are happy to help with any issues you are having, but they don’t stop by this site very often. The mod support is handled on the official forums.
i try the game to start normal and with modlauncher , but i got every time errors and the game crash.
XNPCCORE and SCore is in mod foulder.
With this mod enabled I get no entities spawning, including vanilla animals/zombies. Any help?
Yeah, this seems to either do nothing or remove every npc except traders for me. Very fickle mod at the moment.
Can someone who is a modder take on the challenge of adding radiation zones? Like in the DF mod there are zones that are readioactive, what I would really enjoy also is a yellow mist instead of just the same grey fog. Just to add a new depth of environmental biohazard.
/Mods/0-SCore/SCore.pdb cannot be uploaded to dedicated server. (Gportal)
Have the same Issue… any help here ?
Nice Mod…To bad that the hired npcs teleport after you and you cant let them at your base ….the stay here or wander around here does not work if you leav them they will teleport after you
are the friendly NPCs supposed to be invincible?
But a companion suddenly died
Just a reminder, if you want help getting this mod to work, post your questions on the official forum or on Guppy’s modding discord. No support is given here.
I get this message unexpected data received. the server is running an incompatible version or it is necessary to install modifications
i also am getting this, did you find a solution?
HOLA NO LOGRO HACER QUE FUNCIONEN NADA SI ALGUIEN ME DA UNA MANO SE LO AGRADEZCO
I get attacked by the NPCs all the time. I can’t recruit any of them. Did I not notice something?
Are you sure they are NPC, not bandit?
Con las nuevas actualizaciones y yo sigo en Alpha. 20.2 los npc y zombies dejaron de aparecer, ¿Forzosamente tengo que actualizarme a alpha20.3?
It’s a very good mod! But I got some suggestion for you guys:
1. More model for friendly NPC, not only Baker and Nurse
2. Make players can hurt friendly NPC too, that’s more realistic
3. Make lootbag dropping frequency higher, will make more sense
4. Remove rocket launcher from NPC/officers etc. , it’s so annoying that they blasting everywhere, one time they even destroy one side of my house, which pissed me off, it doesn’t make any sense that they carry rocket around with unlimited ammo but can’t hurt them self
5. For reason it becomes buggy after about 30-40 minutes of playing and I don’t know why, too many NPC spawning maybe?
That’s been said, still a very good mod tho, very enjoy it so far 🙂
So I saw that it can be set for them to attack during a horde night. I’m not seeing options for that in the files. Were you meaning to get your NPCs to fight for you? If so, is there a way to get a certain percentage of horde night mobs to be hostile NPCs?
is there a way to quick drop from inventory and quick gather from their inventory
Hello, I installed just the npc files and the core (not the zombies and other creatures) and i see NPCs and i can spawn them but when i speak to them i have no options to hire them, i tried with almost every NPC, What can i do?
Is there a way to disable default npc’s? Harley, baker, etc. ?
So I find the mod fine but the NPCs kinda just walk into spikes and traps so it ruins defenses unless you build a wall to block them in the first place but like.. Thought the npcs simply wouldn’t wanna walk into a pit of spikes like the zombies consider..
Hey not sure if this is right place but got great idea for your awesome mod
Would be great if npc have like gangs simple as changing there colour blue,green,yellow or something they have there own poi and you can pick one to join they have there own traders and stuff exclusive rewards for completing there quest which is like kill other colour get ammo from enemy base and then for step further have in game map colours have there own teritory need take them all over can call it conquest
hello I wanted to ask if in this update the npc when they kill share the experience with the users and the other have a button to pass the things from the inventory to the npc all together as we do with the storage chests
Hello, do you know how I could increase the life of the friendly wolf a little?
hola, soy yo otra vez, quisiera saber como podria curar al lobito, gracias de antemano
hello there is a way to lower the life bar to the npc
same here, all NPCs attack me upon spawning, I don’t know where went wrong.
with this mod (both cores) it doesnt want to load into a world or make a new one sadly for 20.5
I tried to start up a new game with this on, and only 2 expansion packs, but the debug says that XML failed to load and parse blocks.xml, and above that in yellow it says WRN XML patch for blocks.xml from mod 0-XNPCcore did not apply, (then it lists the line of code from the file, line 3). I did download both cores and 2 expansion packs as mentioned before. If anyone knows if I didn’t download something right, or if there’s some other issue causing this, let me know.
How this mods works ? Do I need to download the main mod first ? If yes, please tell which one will be ?
Where do I install the expansion pack npcs? I just extracted their folders into the mod folder and im not finding them.
I installed this mod using the mod launcher, when i interact with the traders, no menu appears. do i have to enable something in the configs or is this just an issue i have to deal with.
idk if you have any other mods installed, but they conflicted with mine too and i wasnt a big fan of the new UI of the traders when i installed this mod. so i deleted the “XUi” folder. the path is : 0-XNPCCore.zip\0-XNPCCore\Config\”XUi” and it returned me to the vanilla. and fixed it so another menu mod i had worked with it
why do they not spawn when im playing normal survival
Can i turn all npc of mod to enemy? and how?
So, found out how to modify NPC HP and DR…
Why does it take more than 2 magazines of point-blank AK ammo to kill a single raider with nothing but headshots?
Why do I need power armor in order to survive this without being annihilated in a single burst of weapons fire at range?
We tested removing all NPC DR, so on HP alone, bargain basement raiders are OP.
This isn’t balanced gameplay.
for those who have red errors. look where it is right now to install mods. the installation location has changed. also in mod 0-xnpccore rename the file physicsbodyes to physicsbodyes_1 for example . so that the bodies are not dublecated.
Hi peeps been playing 7d2d for a couple of weeks now and love NPC
I have a suggestion as i’m a single player guy i find that i have so much food and weapons, would it be able that the NPC’s you control need to eat a certain amount daily and have the ability to give them weapons i wish them to use with the ammo
Does anyone know how to remove the “sighing” sound? I love this mod so much. The only things is the talking and sighing is too frequent. I was able to delete the talking but I still can’t figure out how to stop them from sighing so frequently. I am a huge fan of mods so I should probably start learning xml…
Ok, so I have the Soldiers installed, is there a way to decrease the spawns? there is literaly more soldiers than zombies and kinda no point in playing at that point.
Soldiers Really Kills The Gaming. Have to turn the Volume ALL The way Down Because Their Guns are so Loud. Can You Tone Those Guns Down, Please? That is the Only Complaint on This end. Mod Works Fantastic Otherwise.
Red Errors on newest steam version.
Any of these mods I try to play with, it comes back with a NullExceptionReference
> Great mod! game dont feel as lonely as before lol
> I get so many free assists during early game from unhired NPCs and some great challenging moments with the Bandit / Raider NPCs
Can Be Improved:
> NPC movements are mostly awkward / abnormal tho, i.e. they shoot and spin around while shooting (hilarious but fun to look at), especially those bandits/raiders. Is it possible to code them to be a bit calm? maybe slightly stealthy when they approach you / zombies / wild animals i.e. they should try to hide, crouch, wait etc
> NPC move around too much like they are on a mission or something lol they need to calm down, sit and sip some water or maybe eat.
> NPCs can see zombies from quite a distance and charge em kamikaze style (btw, their guns are too loud lol but yet it doesn’t attract any zombies). NPCs without weapons should flee instead of fighting.
– – – I have encountered an NPC army with a rocket launcher shooting at homes because it somehow detected some zombies in it (bruh almost killed me as i was in that same house)
> NPCs went missing after a certain distance away from you
> Inaccurate sound distancing i.e. you can clearly hear them getting hurt like they are next to you but they are nowhere near you (also the sighing from female NPC is creepy)
> NPCs clothing too jovial in a post-apocalyptic world. No backpacks?
I love this mod tho hopefully it gets better!
Add the friendly Harley Quinn that was in the old version.
Hi, is it normal that my friends can’t load in my save while I am having this mod enabled? I had no problems using this mod in singleplayer but when my friend wanted to join my singleplayer world he couldn’t load in even though he can join my singleplayer save whenever I take the NPC mods out of the Mods folder. We’re trying to enjoy the mod at the same time on my save but it won’t let him join, it always gives him some sort of error or hes just stuck in the loading screen. Any help is appreciated!