This goal of this new 7 Days to Die mod is to provide core “Packs” that contains various vanilla compatible and fully featured characters such as bandits, survivors, animals, wandering traders, etc. without breaking EAC or requiring the DMT utility. Included in this test version are samples of each type of character with very basic xml to get them working in game. No balancing of spawn rates, weapon power, etc was attempted.
Xyth deleted the old creature pack and replaced it with 5 new packs:
- 0-CreaturePackAnimals – Things like animals, birds, insects etc.
- 0-CreaturePackFantasy – Everything else that doesn’t fit in the 4 other categories. Swarms, Orcs, Pokemon etc.
- 0-CreaturePackHumans – Various bandits, traders, and survivors and other humanoid rigged entities
- 0-CreaturePackMechs – Robots, drones and other mechanical things like SphereBot, the avatar of Xyth’s modding partner SphereII
- 0-CreaturePackZombies – Zombies, you know, dead things that used to be human. Humanoid rigged.
Other character modders have committed to contributing additional characters to this pack like they do to the POI (Buildings) collection called CompoPack. Want to join them? Start here.
The methods used to make this vanilla compatible were researched and developed over the past 2 years and finally it seems to be working well enough to test. However, this is something very new and challenging to develop so expect imperfections as we work out all the issues. Once initial testing is complete Xyth plan to teach the development workflow to others.
Most characters support all vanilla character features. These include Humanoid rigging, root motion animation, collision with vehicles, rag-dolling, 100’s of animated reactions (including hit locations, limping, etc.), limb decapitation and gore, and even the ability to spawn the characters with vanilla or custom weapons just by editing xml. There are some exceptions, especially on animals, as Xyth just started to explore that controller. They also work very well as sleepers in POIs, but stumbling onto a bandit that has a MP7 at close range isn’t something you will live to enjoy.
Hopes and Dreams
Beyond hoping that this pack someday contains 100’s of new characters, Xyth hope some folks develop custom quests and story lines for some of the characters. Bandits are one thing, but earning a positive faction with the bandit leader by doing some hit jobs for him makes for a better end game.
There are currently no footstep sounds when these guys walk or run. Vanilla footsteps require a C# script to trigger sound events and they can not use scripts without breaking EAC. He expect to create a work around for that at some point but for now, look around more.
The mods are named with a prefix of 0- to insure it loads before other mods that will edit the basic xml provided in this core mod. Nothing in this mod’s xml should change vanilla in a way that collides with other mods but let him know if it does.
Testing was done on A19 exp and 18.4 stable.
Each submitted Unity.3d file (multiple entities in one file) should have a size less than 100 megs for Github compatibility.
To promote ease of reusing the characters in future mods and modlets, they think some recommended standards are needed. This is the subject of ongoing discussions, and always subject to revision, but the following are recommended standards for adding new characters to these packs.
To offer a balance between freedom to choose individual characters and still maintain some organization of kinds of characters, there will be 5 basic character groups: Humans, Zombies, Animals, Mechs, and Fantasy Characters. Each of these will be a modlet containing a resource folder of individual .unity3d asset bundles for each character. The xml for each character will be in xpath format and merged into the master xml files for that modlet.
Characters should be built to conform to TFP character standards and best practices as much as possible, and function in game like existing TFP characters do, with included ragdolls, rootmotion and gore. Additional information on this will be provided in video tutorials.
Characters should have descriptive names to help end users know what they might be loading, so names like SnowFox is good if its a Snowfox, but Mylittlepal would be a bad name for a Snowfox.
Keep the characters low/mid poly and watch texture sizes. Go for 2k texture maps – 1k additional maps. Xyth try to keep most entities under 10 megs. TFP is changing to higher definition zombies, so we will conform to what they do when we get to see that.
The material index used should be listed in the xml, so modders can do material overrides in xml and know what material they are targeting. For example, the TFP nurse zombie would be:
<!-- Retexturing Index: Materials : 0 Body,1 Eyes -->
LODs are not required, but if added keep those down to 1 or 2 max.
More will be added here as they go.
The following community members have donated resources to this project. Please thank them for their contributions!
Xyth will try to keep this list current.
- DarkStarDragon – Zombies
- Guppycur – Zombies
- Robeloto – Spider sounds
- TSBX – Zombies
- Mumpfy – Re-texturing and new asset creation
- Kergan – XML
- SaltyAF – XML
- Chikorina (Chiko) – XML
- (new) Pushed a rebalancing fix. Since TFP really changed the animal balances, Xyth just tried to keep the new ones using similar values, so let him know how it plays. Also rebalanced Mechs.
- Fix for guppy insect name change.
- Pushed a minor update to animals and mechs. Added a Hit tag to the pain states, likely not needed but for OCD reasons. Added GuppyBug fix for invlid layer index.
- Uploaded the Animal and Mech CreaturePacks for testing. The packs only have the creatures that Xyth has the project files for, so other character authors will need to update the rest of the characters when they can. A19 made many significant changes to how entities work, and these 2 packs were the easiest to convert. Xyth did basic testing on them and they seem good, but likely things like range, attack sync, damage, etc could use a little polishing. He doesn’t have time for that while wrestling with the Human and zombie changes, so if you make xml improvements please send him updated xml. Thanks.
- Pushed updated zombiepack .51, might fix it but Xyth cant repo so please test on a new game.
- Xyth is feature locking the CreaturePacks until A19. Should be enough for folks to enjoy until then. He added 6 Guppy Orcs to the fantasypack as one last surprise.
- Pushed a fix for an NRE when some characters ragdolled.
- Commented out 2 guppy soldiers that were adversly effecting FPS. Hes working on fixes. Also commented out 1 TSBX cop, as he wants to improve it. Fixed xml issue where a material replacement was causing an NRE.
- Pushed some small changes today to zombies and humans. Upgraded zombie AITasks so as far as Xyth can tell they target everything alive but zombies now. All classes of humans seem to attack zombies.
- CreaturePackHuman edits: Commented out the Guppy07soldier with the flame thrower (causes major FPS drop) until the particle can be fixed. Edited sound files to prevent wordsoup on attacking or hit. They will talk trash less often in combat now.
- CreaturePackZombies: Fix rare NRE error due to new zombieanimaltemplate
- CreaturePackAnimals: Some minor edits to animal tasks
- Major refactoring of all packs to isolate each from vanilla extends. New templates added, so if you donate entities please extend from an existing template then make edits in that character as needed. Should be save safe, but one can never be sure.
- Added a new Fatman zombie by TSBX.
- Minor update to fix minor texture bug, NPC limping like zombies, and consolidated some AITasks and templates.
- Added more Guppy Guys, 4 survivors, 1 bandit and a new zed.
- Added some Guppy Samurai characters to the fantasypack.
- Added a boss guppy dog to animalpack.
- Pushed new animalpack version, adding insect sounds for the hornet like insect to use.
- Pushed updates to animals, humans and zombiepacks. Converted the flying creatures to use the old Hornet class so they don’t do those annoying vulture things like only attack when wounded, chasing vehicles etc. Hornet class isn’t so inhibited. There is a template for passive flying things and hostile ones now. Moved Guppy’s insect from zombiepack to animalpack. Fixed the Crow not flying. Commented out the compass icons from the Human templates so NPCs don’t show on the map. Side note: The introduction of the Hornet Class opens up the possibility for lots of interesting new dangers in the world. Be afraid, very afraid.
- Pushed another update, Added some new zombie animals made by your very own Guppy.
- Pushed an update with 4 new guppy zeds. The guppy04 version lacks vehicle collision but is being fixed and will be updated soon.
- New version of CreaturePackHumans that balances spawning, there were way too many hostile animals spawning.
- Minor update on spawn rates, plus changed version to conform with standards.
- Pushed a CP-Human update with new characters for the NPC mod to use.
- Pushed a new version of the zombiepack with one fix (TFP improperly formed an AITask in vanilla on the cop), and added a lot of new spawning groups submitted by their latest community contributor, Chiko! Custom zombies will now spawn during bloodmoons and in other hordes.
- Pushed new version, but only minor edits for this mod. Mostly added new NPC characters for the NPC mod that are not available in xml for this mod yet. They are emptyhanded versions in case anyone wants to use them as bandits in this mod.
- Pushed a revert to remove DarkStar’s entity updates until they can sort out what when wrong.
- Pushed new zombie and human Packs. Walktype9 is now hooked up for any entity using the new controllers (zombie and humanoid). You can test on the nurse, farmer, behemoth etc but not Guppy/darkstar zeds yet. NPCs with the new controller use IsBusy which uses a new idle state or states while they wait on you. Again, those currently are enabled fully on Xyth’s entities, and maybe on some of darks NPCs. Until SphereII tracks down a bug, npcs with older controllers might walk in place while you talk to them.
- Pushed refactored xml, humans no longer extend from zombiemaletemplate, isolating them from other mods that change that base vanilla template. Also prevented cripple walking on ranged humans and lowered chance on melee humans.
- Added the Behemoth. He has a mesh issue that cant be fixed in Unity unless Xyth make new kneeling and death anims, so on death he gets a little, er, excited. Xyth also didn’t add him to spawning groups yet as he’s a boss, and would need some thought on when/where he appears.
- Pushed new versions of packs, mostly rebalancing of spawn rates and new weapons for NPC modlet to consume.
- Second mini quest added, to creature pack animals this time, and first miniquest in humans pack adjusted slightly.
- Pushed new version of animals (added some DarkStarDragon Dogs) and slightly lowered spawn rate of Guppy zombies.
- Added in DarkStars soldiers into spawngroups. New quest added.
- Pushed a new version of the Human creaturepack. It has some refactoring and adding of new options for spawning bandit weapons in that pack and for the NPC mod. Hopefully save safe but dont update if you cant risk it.
- The Invalid Index warning was on the Goat. Fixed in version 1.16, which Xyth just pushed to repo. Also increased the spawnrate of custom zeds now that they seem stable.
- Added 4 more DarkStarDragon female raiders to the human pack. Great VoiceOvers on these.
- Just pushed new packs, Added new zeds from TSBX, added many new spawning groups so the new zombies appear as sleepers and in hordes. (Not bloodmoon or scout hordes yet though). Animal spawn areas sorted by SaltyAF, new spawn groups added by Kergan.
- Added some new Doctor zombies from Mr. Guppy.
- Added 5 soldier survivors DeltaForce, NationalGuard, NationalGuardMedic, ArmyRanger, ArmyDoctor.
- Radio chatter sounds added to male soldiers.
- Burst fire attack added to ranged soldiers to make it easier for them to hit targets.
- Pushed version with 7 new zombie soldiers by Guppycur. Added those and DarkStarDragon’s Vault folks to spawning.
- Pushed a new release, misc Unity edits on most entities to improve same, added DarkStars’ Flamer bandit.
- Various fixes and some new Zombies and Bandits pushed.
- Goat head collider fixed.
- Did a major refactoring, pushed new version, added 5 more zombies made by darkstardragon.
- Added more birds and a really cool reskinning of the Robot done by Mumphy. The robot will now attack on dedi as well.
- Been pushing new versions, most recent added 3 new spiders to the animalpack. Improved human walk animations, and added 2 test banditEves that use the ranged class rather than vomit class so are scary accurate. As they are baanditclass entities the are not in the spawngroups as they will NRE if they enter a trader protection zone.
- Pushed version 1.01 of the Human Pack. Added A new character (heavy trader from trader modlet), added a few more character variants, added some new entitygroups.
The goal of everything SphereII and Xyth do is to share information and examples of how to make this game better. So use this for yourselves or as part of a mod you develop for others to enjoy. Giving credit to the author is always a class act, but at least don’t be that guy who spends an hour editing someones work and then claims to be the original author.
Just drop the mod into your Mods folder and have fun. They are not dependent on each other so load the ones you want. If your using a dedicated server, you also need to load this into your dedi server Mods folder. So a copy in both the clientside Mods folder and also on the servers Mods folder.
Download 0-CreaturePackAnimals for A19
Download 0-CreaturePackMechs for A19
Download 0-CreaturePackAnimals for A18
Download 0-CreaturePackFantasy for A18
Download 0-CreaturePackHumans for A18
Download 0-CreaturePackMechs for A18
Download 0-CreaturePackZombies for A18
The forum topic of the mod is here.