A mod that implements the “mostly dead” character death style for 7D2D. The idea is that when a player character dies, players respawn as an entirely new character, but they respawn into a (mostly) unchanged world. It can be modified for traditional “Dead is dead” or “Permadeath” gameplay.
For an explanation of the “mostly dead” play style, see Khzmusik’s “manifesto“.
- The player’s inventory is deleted (the “DropOnDeath” setting is forced to “Delete All”).
- Skill points are reset (not removed), and books that were read are forgotten.
- Crafting skill levels above 1 are randomly re-assigned to different crafting skills. (New for A21)
- Bedrolls and beds are no longer spawn points, so players do not spawn on them.
- The player map is reset, including any saved waypoints.
- Player vehicles are destroyed.
- The player’s active land claim block is rendered inoperable.
- The player’s ACL (Access Control List – i.e. friends list) is cleared.
- If the player hired any NPCs, those NPCs are dismissed. (Assumes SCore NPCs.)
The respawned character is at a similar “level” to the old one:
- If the player did not complete the “Basic Survival” quests, they start over from scratch. (This is so players can still earn the skill points from completing those quests.)
- If the player restarts before level 4, they will be given the “Whiteriver Citizen” quest so they can find a nearby trader.
- If restarting at level 3 or lower, the player will be given the player’s starting items, even if another mod or mod has added starting items.
- When restarting at medium and higher levels, players are given bundles of items so they have matching armor sets, and their given ammo matches their given weapons. This includes new bow and crossbow bundles (which have custom icons and translations).
These features can be customized via XML edits or XPath. See the README.md for details.
Mostly Dead: Permadeath
This mod makes the XML changes necessary to turn the Mostly Dead mod into a “Permadeath” mod. It is for people who do not want to make the XML edits themselves.
You still need to install the Mostly Dead mod. This mod will not work by itself.
- Skill points are reset and removed.
- Crafting skills are removed. New for A21.
- The player level is reset to level 1.
- The player spawns with the starting items again, except the note from the Duke.
- The player is given the “Basic Survival” quests again.
- The player is given the “Newbie Coat” buff again.
All the other features from the Mostly Dead mod remain unchanged.
Updated for A21.
Alpha 21 Versions
DOWNLOAD Mostly Dead for A21 (582 KB)
DOWNLOAD Mostly Dead: Permadeath for A21 (4 KB)
Alpha 20 Versions
DOWNLOAD Mostly Dead for A20 (569 KB)
DOWNLOAD Mostly Dead: Permadeath for A20 (4 KB)
The forum topic of the mod is here.