ErrorNull Zombies (enZombies): This mod has been updated for Alpha 20 and adds much more zombie variations to the game, using the UMA archetype method most notably showcased by the Snukfin’s Custom Server Side Zombies – PLUS mod maintained by arramus. All the UMA Zombies by khzmusik are also included in enZombies. The goal of this mod is to always be server-side, thus only needs to be installed on the server, and not on the individual clients. These zombies are meant to be your average walkers and crawlers to complement the existing vanilla ones… though stronger and boss-level zombies are slowly being added. Each enZombie also has their own feral and radiated variant.
enZombies spawn out in the terrain based on the biome, with each zombie group sporting a unique color theme that matches the biome. So you will find foresty zombies in the forest, deserty zombies in the desert, snowy zombies in the snow, and so forth. enZombies also spawn in many other scenarios, like in wandering hordes, screamer hordes, sleepers in POIs, and during the bloodmoon horde night. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to spawn zombies in these other scenarios while also based on specific biomes, so a more random range of enZombies will be seen there.
The short challenge quests are an underutilized feature in the vanilla game, and enZombies appear within them as well. New challenge quests have also been added to showcase the new zombies. All new quests are simply found as items within the usual loot containers where vanilla quests are found. Many more quests are planned.
- Goblin Raid
- Forest Goblin Raid
- Desert Goblin Raid
- Snow Goblin Raid
- Red Goblin Raid
- Wasteland Goblin Raid
- Business Meeting Gone Wrong
enZombies and the add-ons (see Add-ons section) are designed for Alpha 20. Using other mods with enZombie might work and might not. Even if an unsupported mod does work without errors, it will be missing the custom biome spawn behavior that enZombies use. If there is enough demand for a specific unsupported mod, ErrorNull can create a patch mod for it (see Patches section) so that it works with enZombies and recognizes the custom biome spawn groups. If you are getting errors or strange glitches while using unsupported mods with enZombies, feel free to report the errors and what other mods you are using, and he will be glad to take a glance when he get the chance.
You may use his mod as it is presented, or just pull his zombie definitions from archetypes.xml and entityclasses.xml and merge them into your own mod. Don’t forget to grab corresponding code from items.xml and buff.xml. If you are just pulling the zombie XML code, he’d appreciate if you credit him somewhere like on your website, discord or forum post. The more exposure enZombies can have, the more players use it, and the more motivation for him to continue development. He love making these custom zombies and hope to continue on for a long while, but it does take lots of time and effort.
Download and Install
This mod is not intended to be used with any other mods, except for the Add-Ons and Patches mods – refer to Add-Ons and Patches section further below. Note: GitHub adds the word “-main” to the filename of the zip when downloading. To avoid issues, please remove that word and ensure it does not show in the folder name when placing the mod into your Mods folder.
These are optional mods created for enZombies. The main enZombies mod must be installed in order for these Add-Ons to work.
enZombie Harvest Add-on
This mod allows players to harvest all enZombies and vanilla zombies for resources (eg. cloth, rotten flesh, bones) when they are defeated. Zombies that carry bags or backpacks can also be looted before harvesting their corpses. To counter-balance the added abundance of resources from zombie harvesting, this mod also slightly increases the resource requirements of any recipes that rely on them.
enZombie Settings Add-On
A collection of small mods that allow adjusting certain zombie settings: No Nudes, Attack Range, Wilderness Spawn Amount, Wandering Horde Spawn Amount, Removing Zombies, and Adjust HP. Download the add-on package and take the specific folder that matches the setting you wish to adjust and place it into your 7 Days to Die “Mods” folder.
Install these ‘patch’ mods to make enZombies compatible with its ‘target’ mod. These patch mods do two things: makes the target mod aware of the new custom spawning groups that enZombies uses for outside biome spawning. And, it allows the player to enable zombie body harvesting for the zombies or entities that are part of the target mod. Instructions: 1) Download the package which will include all the patch mods listed below. 2) Open the package and find the folder that matches the target mod you want compatibility for. 3) Take that folder and place it into your 7 Days to Die “Mods” folder. 4) Be sure to have the main enZombies mod installed. 5) Be sure you also install the main target mod that the patch is patching.
Banshee Queen Patch
This makes the Banshee Queen mod compatible with enZombies. The Banshee Queen was created by Arcueid/Gray Sage and is a giant screamer boss. What out for her during a screamer horde.
Diamond Giant Raid Boss Patch
This makes the Diamond Raid Boss mod compatible with enZombies. The Diamond Giant was created by Arcueid/Gray Sage and is a giant party girl. It seems that her looks can disable you.
KHA20-TFP Behemoth Patch
This makes the KHA20-TFP Behemoth compatible with enZombies. The Behemoth was reworked by KhaineGB and is literally a huge behemoth zombie. This will add a nice challenge to the game.
This makes the MickPewPews Server Side Zeds mod compatible with enZombies.
Robeloto’s Custom Zombie’s Patch
This makes Robeloto’s Custom Zombies compatible with enZombies. The main mod is by Robeloto and contains a ton of excellent custom zombies which use creative texture swaps and weapon prefab attachments onto the base vanilla zombies. The zombies range from easy to very tough and very small to super large.
Snufkin’s Server Side Zombies PLUS Patch
This makes Snufkin’s Custom Server Side Zombies compatible with enZombies. The main mod is maintained by Arramus and contains a great collection of unique UMA archetype zombies, as well as custom zombies based on the vanilla models. These zombies are boss-level and perfect for the later gamestages.
Zulk Zombie Patch
This makes the Zulk Zombie mod compatible with enZombies. The Zulk zombie was created by BeBeLiouS and is a nice looking green giant with normal, feral, and radiated varieties, and works well with any game playthrough.
NPCMod Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod entities compatible with enZombies. NPCMod is by Xyth and is more like a powerful entity creation platform. NPCMod comes included with three NPCs – two of which are friendly and hire-able, and one that is hostile. Many modders have created more NPCs using the NPCMod as a base, which adds a great variety of zombies and NPCs.
NPCMod Bird Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod BirdPack entities compatible with enZombies. These are non-hostile and hostile flying creatures made by Xyth. Adds a nice touch to the outsides of each biome.
NPCMod Fantastic Beastz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Fantastic Beastz to be compatible with enZombies. These are medieval themed monsters (eg. dragons, griffon, harpy) by DarkStarDragon.
NPCMod Gans Special Zombies Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Gans Special Zombies to be compatible with enZombies. These include a scary clown and zombiefied military generals, by GanTheGrey.
NPCMod Gans Standard Zombies Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Gans Standard Zombies to be compatible with enZombies. These include zombie versions of trader Rekt and Hugh, by GanTheGrey.
NPCMod Goblinz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Goblinz to be compatible with enZombies. These are hostile goblins by DarkStarDragon. Requires KnightzNPeasantz AND OrczAlpha.
NPCMod Khzmusik NPC Civilians Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod NPC Civilians to be compatible with enZombies. These are friendly hire-able humans by Khzmusik. There is a nice variety of them!
NPCMod Khzmusik Zombies Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Zombies to be compatible with enZombies. These are more zombies (eg. burnt, cowgirl, office, female cop) to add to your game, by Khzmusik.
NPCMod Knightz N Peasantz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Knightz and Peasantz to be compatible with enZombies. These are medieval themed NPCs by DarkStarDragon. Great with Goblinz and Orcz.
NPCMod Mech Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod MechPack entities compatible with enZombies. These are hostile robots made by Xyth. Many great models and sounds effects.
NPCMod OrczPack Alpha Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Orcz (alpha) to be compatible with enZombies. These are hostile melee and ranged Orc fighters by DarkStarDragon. Fierce looking and awesome.
NPCMod OrczPack Beta Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Orcz (beta) to be compatible with enZombies. These are even more hostile Orc fighters and even two human slaves by DarkStarDragon.
NPCMod PitFighterz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod PitFighterz to be compatible with enZombies. These are friendly human fighters like boxers, MMA, karate, etc by DarkStarDragon.
NPCMod Raiderz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod RaiderzPack entities to be compatible with enZombies. These are a collection of hostile humans made by DarkStarDragon. Nice looking bandits.
NPCMod RaiderGurlz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod RaiderGurlzPack entities to be compatible with enZombies. These are a collection of hostile women made by DarkStarDragon. Dangerous ladies in cool outfits!
NPCMod RaiderGurlz Friendly Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod RaiderGurlzPack Friendly entities to be compatible with enZombies. These are non-hostile women made by DarkStarDragon and Mr.Devolver.
NPCMod Robotz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Robotz to be compatible with enZombies. This is a huge and powerful friendly mech you can hire, and is made by DarkStarDragon.
NPCMod Soldier Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod SoldierPack entities to be compatible with enZombies. These are a collection of military helpers made by DarkStarDragon. Great looking models.
NPCMod Spider Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod SpiderPack entities compatible with enZombies. These are a collection of hostile spiders made by Xyth. The 3D models and animations are well done.
NPCMod Spider Colony Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod SpiderPack entities compatible with enZombies. These are a collection of hostile spiders made by Xyth. The 3D models and animations are well done.
NPCMod Survivorz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This makes the NPCMod SurvivorzPack entities compatible with enZombies. These are friendly human fighers by DarkStarDragon. Nice looking ladies, a sumo and M60 warrior.
NPCMod VaultDwellerz Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod VaultDwellerzPack entities to be compatible with enZombies. These are friendly NPCs wearing futuristic civilian and military outfits and gear made by DarkStarDragon. The power armor are cool.
NPCMod Zombiez Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod Zombiez to be compatible with enZombies. These are more amazing looking zombies made by DarkStarDragon.
NPCMod YeOlde Undead Expansion Patch (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
This patch mod allows the NPCMod YeOlde Undead to be compatible with enZombies. These are medieval zombie and skeleton fighters made by DarkStarDragon.
There are some interesting bugs when working with UMA zombies and molding them from the archetypes.xml. It’s not unique to enZombies and are present in any mod that uses UMA style zombies – for example, the Snufkin mod also contain some UMA zombies which will experience these bugs. In his opinion, the relative ease in creating and modifying these zombies outweigh the quirks:
- UMA zombies fly amazing distances when struck with a powerful attack. Their physics seem to be more ‘floaty’ compared to the vanilla zombies. This also results in the occasional zombie getting stuck into nearby walls and bars when explosions and powerful attacks send them rag-dolling overhead. To some this is a bug, to others this is a feature.
- UMA zombies do not collide with player vehicles whether driven or parked. So the zombies will simply walk right through them. This behavior does not occur with the abandoned POI vehicles that litter the landscape – UMA zombies interact with them like normal. When zombie vehicle collision was added to the vanilla zombies, the devs did not add that feature to the UMA system.
- UMA zombies don’t get shocked when walking into electric fence traps… not really, at least. It seems that if they are knocked down while on the fence, they will occasionally get shocked! Stun batons behave normally and shock the zombies just fine.
- UMA zombies do not show the crawling animations when they crawl through the 1 block spaces. The ability for zombies to crawl through 1 block spaces is fairly recent, but the devs did not implement that update for the UMA system.
- UMA zombies appear to cause a ‘micro-freeze’ or stutter in the game each time a set number of them are spawned. This was not the case (or it was very insignificant) in Alpha 19. The number of zombies that trigger this stutter seem to range from 5 to 8. Thus, while exploring POIs and encountering sleeper zombies, or fighting through horde night, there will be a short stutter when every 5th to 8th UMA zombie is spawned in. The severity of the micro-freeze might depend on your system specs, but it’s not completely certain at this point.
- There is a NullReferenceException error that can occur when sleepers are spawning inside POIs. Majority of the incidents are occurring during trader quest, and can sometimes even result in a sleeper zombie being spawned invisible – which can be a vanilla zombie and possibly UMA zombie. Unfortunately, this zombie cannot be killed and if part of a Clear quest will cause the quest to fail. This issue is still being investigated. Troubleshooting is challenging as this NRE error appears intermittent and not tied to a specific POI or specific UMA zombie. However, it only occurs when UMA zombies are spawning as sleepers. If you encounter this NRE error – please take a screenshot (or send him the log) and let him know which POI and if the error was repeatable later at the same POI. This will help with the research.
Wish List to The Fun Pimps
Here he list enhancements to the 7 Days modding experience that he would love for the developers to add which will allow him to add more immersion to enZombies and the game as a whole.
- Remove the gamestage maximum that’s part of the wandering horde. Currently it only goes up to gamestage 50 and then wraps around back to 1. This limits him from adding stronger zombies to the wandering horde in order to maintain sensible difficulty balance. If gamestage must wrap around, then increase max limit to something like 1500, 2000, etc.
- Add gamestage progression for all wilderness biome zombie groups. Currently, these wilderness zombies do not scale at all with gamestage, and so this prevents him from adding increasingly challenging zombies to spawn in wilderness for each biome.
- Add separate zombie hordes specific to each biome. This will allow hordes like wandering, screamer, POI sleepers, and bloodmoon to spawn zombies specific for each biome.
- Add more specialized zombie entitygroups for POIs. Vanilla game already has groups like ZombieGhostTownGroup, HospitalGroup, ZombieNightClubGroup, ZombieFarmGroup, etc. Would love to see more entitygroups for POIs like schools, stores and shops, police stations, residential homes, etc. Of course he can see how this will be low priority for the devs given their small pool of vanilla zombies to fill up these POI roles. At this time, it is the zombie modders who would benefit, and of course the players.
Thanks to Snufkin for starting it all with his Snukfin’s Server Side Z(S)ombies mod, and thanks to Arramus for keeping it going with the Snufkin’s Custom Server Side Zombies – PLUS mod. ErrorNull studied these mods for weeks to figure out how it worked and gave him inspiration to contribute as well. Also thanks to Khzmusik who gave ErrorNull permission to add his UMA Zombies into enZombies. Much appreciated!
- Snufkin’s Custom Server Side Zombies – PLUS
- Robeloto’s Custom Zombies
- Khzmusik’s UMA Zombies
- Zulk Zombie
- Banshee Queen
- Diamond Raid Boss
- MickPewPews Server Side Zeds
- KHA20-TFP Behemoth
- NPCMod (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
- NPCMod Expansion Packs (Powered by Score and NPCcore)
- Removed ability for any zombies that wear hats/helmets, holding items/weapons, or are giants, from becoming crawlers
- Removed all custom zombie crawlers to simplify code. Existing zombies (that are not mentioned above) can still be crawlers if they are crippled.
- Added elemental zombies: enElementalOrganicCrawler, enElementalSandCrawler, enElementalStoneCrawler, enElementalIronCrawler, enElementalSandWalker, enElementalStoneWalker, enElementalIronWalker, enElementalRadiatedWalker
- Added custom characteristics to elemental zombies: nerfed ranged weapons against them, bonus to mining tools against them, they do not bleed, they have increased entity and block damage
- Redid wandering horde code to use vanilla groups and progression. Should make more mods (like UL) no need for patch
- Renamed enSnufkinBoss to enScientistBoss1
- Added feral versions of khzAiden and khzChang
- Added hospital zombies: patientFemale1, patientFemale2, and patientFemale3, patientMale1 and patientMale2, labFemale1, nurseHD
- Added more existing zombies: biker3 and biker4, lumberjack3 and lumberjack4
- Renamed and streamlined all enemy handitems
- Added louder swoosh sounds to the larger weapons carried by zombies: clubs, shovels, pickaxes, stun baton, etc
- Updated all entitygroups/spawning code to be more compatible with mods that rely on vanilla zombie groups
- Removed game animals from spawning in wasteland (since it was removed from vanilla game)
- Added loadingscreen tips specific to enZombies
- Added settings mod enZombiesSettings09RemoveZombies
(new) Add-Ons Update
Looks like ErrorNull had the wrong name value inside ModInfo.xml for the mod patch “enZombiesNPCMod-1YeOldeUndeadPack”. He went ahead and corrected that now. Please re-download the enZombiesNPCMod-1YeOldeUndeadPack mod patch.
The forum topic of the mod is here.
Credits: ErrorNull, Snufkin, Arramus, Khzmusik